In Fiji, Melanesia mixes with Polynesia, ancient India with the Pacific, and tradition with the modern world in a unique blend. Moon Fiji explores this 322-island archipelago in the heart of the South Pacific. You get:
- A thought-provoking introduction to the people of Fiji, famed for their warmth, generosity, and fascinating array of traditional customs
- Details of Fiji's turbulent history, including detailed coverage of the coups of 1987, 2000, and 2006
- Vivid descriptions of the islands' dazzling beaches, rainforests, and reefs, plus tips for enjoying outdoor activities like diving, surfing, sailing, kayaking and hiking
- Frank reviews of lodgings, from luxury resorts to beachfront bures, with exact prices quoted
- Valuable leads on flights, airfares, rides, rentals, and ferries to allow you to get around on your own or choose your package wisely
- 53 carefully labeled maps and 170 photos, plus drawings, charts, glossary, and asides - all in 419 pages
The Original Travel Guide to Fiji
Moon Fiji was the first - and is still the best - detailed, reliable source of information on travel around Fiji. Islands like Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, Taveuni, Ovalau, Yanuca, and Kadavu receive detailed attention, as do the Mamanuca, Yasawa, Lomaiviti, and Lau groups. Islands missing from other guidebooks are not overlooked here.
You'll learn how to get around Fiji by plane, ship, bus, car, taxi, and foot, and the guide also offers tips on discovering the finest local cuisine. Moon Fiji explores cultural and eco-tourism, supplying everything you need for a successful trip.
Seasoned travel writer David Stanley mixes engaging narrative with no-nonsense travel advice. He's been writing about Fiji since 1978 - longer than any other travel writer - and this book reflects that depth of experience.
"I'm addicted. I pick up one of David Stanley's books, and I can't put it down. I read, and dream, and plan — but there's so much to take in!"
Jessie Voigts Wandering Educators
"Historical facts, geography, and native protocol weave almost a story-like quality leaving you enchanted, entertained, and informed."
Ina Lejins, Coconut Island Travel
"During previous international travels I have inevitably left my guide book at hostels or inns upon leaving, in order to reduce the weight of my pack, but Moon Fiji is one guide book that I will NOT be leaving behind."
Hole in the Donut Cultural Travel
"My favorite feature is the Where to Go and 10-Day Best of Fiji chapters. It gives me somewhere to start."
Tami Brady, TCM Reviews
"There is an enthusiasm about the places described that is infectious, and coupled with a lot of generally-well-researched information, it makes for a handbook that is both interesting and quite packed with information of various sorts."
Dr. Roderick Ewins, JustPacific.com
"I love the layout of this book. Each section has an area map by David himself, as well as mostly the author's own photos. The info sidebars and pages are also particularly helpful. I will absolutely be using this book to help plan my next trip to Fiji."
travel writer Lori Henry